BNP Paribas has had a presence in the UK for nearly 150 years. The UK is a key hub for the Group and all three of BNP Paribas’ core businesses are based here: Corporate & Investment Banking, Investment Solutions and Retail Banking.
BNP Paribas’ Corporate & Investment business is a leader across capital markets, advisory and financing and is the global headquarters for Fixed Income & Commodity Derivatives.
Corporate and Institutional clients can also benefit from expertise in Asset Management, Securities Services, Real Estate, Insurance, Leasing and Vehicle Management Services.
The bank also offers services for Individual clients, including Private Banking and Insurance.
There are around 8000 employees in the UK, with the majority of employees based in and around London.
BNP Paribas’ history in the UK:
- 1867: Comptoir National d’Escompte de Paris (CNEP) establishes a London branch
- 1930: Banque Nationale pour le Commerce et l’Industrie (merges with CNEP to create BNP) opens in London
- 1964: Paribas creates a subsidiary specialising in corporate banking and merchant banking in London
- 1986: Paribas acquires the broker Quilter Goodison
- 1989: Creation of Paribas Futures Ltd. Today the business is one of the top players in oil futures
- 2000: BNP merges with Paribas to create BNP Paribas
Tennis and BNP Paribas in the UK
In the UK, BNP Paribas is an official sponsor of British Tennis, with a strong presence at Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) international tour events, notably the AEGON Championships at The Queen’s Club in London and also the BNP Paribas Tennis Classic at Hurlingham.
BNP Paribas is a committed supporter of the arts in the UK and has sponsored four major exhibitions between 2009-2012, culminating in the sponsorship of “David Hockney RA: A Bigger Picture”.